Monday, September 19, 2011

A Story of Irony

Often times Mondays are busy days around here and today was no different. Home schooling, Canning, Watering the Trees and Shrubs at School, Gardening at home, herding the chickens back into the back yard, housecleaning, laundry, ... I think you get the picture. Anyway, it became dinner-time and the kitchen was a mess from making and canning apple pie filling and I was too tired to cook. So I decided to go to the grocery store and pick up some dinner, milk, juice, a few things we needed. I grabbed Buddy because he LOVES to go in the car with Mommy and off we went. As I finished checking out, my phone rang. It was Brynn, "When are you coming home?! The Baby killed one of the chickens!"
So I told her I was on my way. Luckily I had already paid and could go right out to the car and load up and go home. Upon arrival I let Buddy stay in his car seat so I could go witness the carnage without his assistance. The girls were at the gate to meet me and escort me to the scene. Yep, there it was. One flat, dead chicken. It had been squashed when the rock wall (which is not attached to anything right now) had been knocked over and one of the rhode island reds had been smashed under it. Jason and I decided to throw it away but the girls pleaded, "no! no! We have to bury it! " Camryn said, "I care about that chicken, Daddy! We are NOT throwing it away!" Brynn thought it was utterly disrespectful to throw it away and the natural thing to do would be to bury it in the front yard under the bush that they always run into whenever I'm trying to shoo them back into the back yard.
Well that seemed appropriate, so off I went to get the shovel. While Brynn and Camryn stood by looking forlorn and declaring, "We will never forget you!" I dug the hole and laid her to rest. The girls placed flowers on her "grave" and we came in the house.
You are probably wondering ... "So where's the irony?" Well, that dinner I had gotten at the grocery store ... it's a chicken dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment