Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Wonders of Girls




I've just started reading a book called "The Wonder of Girls". It is about the emotional, biological and neurological development of girls and how we can live and communicate with our girls while they are struggling with these developments within themselves. Raising girls is tough. Especially when you ARE one!! Even a grown up girl goes through emotional, biological, and neurological changes and once we parents realize that sometimes kids DON'T have the capacity to control what is going on within themselves, although hopefully they can learn how to eventually, conflict can decrease! I am learning so much and I've just completed the Introduction and Chapter 1. When I get done I'm going to read "The Wonder of Boys" and see if I can get a quicker start on knowing the inner workings of my son's brain. I think that the most important thing that I've learned today, though, is that the most vulnerable time in a girl's life, next to infancy, is adolescence. They are more dependent on us physically and emotionally, even if it looks like they are pushing us away, during adolescence than any other time in their lives! Every Mom and Dad needs to know this because society tells us that adolescence is the time to let them be free to explore who they are and be independent. All that is fine as long as you remember that they are completely incapable of being independent! Let them explore who they are but always remember to hug them, tell them you love them, tell them they are pretty, show them they are special! So today I am Thankful for this book, and probably my daughters are, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment